17-18 Fantasy Football QB Sleepers
Every year in fantasy you can pretty much project the first 5 QB’s to go by memory right? Without even looking at the schedule. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Luck, Ryan, Wilson, these are going to be the guys who top fantasy draft boards everywhere. But what if you don’t get one of those guys? Most leagues are 10-12 teams deep, and everyone needs at least one QB. Who can you grab later on that will still produce on the field for you? While there IS a significant drop off in production from the first overall QB to the 7th (100 fantasy points last season in ESPN standard leagues), From 6th overall to 20th overall there’s only about a 40 fantasy point drop off over the course of the year-or about 2.25 points per game. This basically means you either want to spend up for a top 3 QB, or you can wait and take the 20th ranked QB. But spending a higher round pick on the 5th ranked QB would be a waste, you see? Anyway, who in the later rounds will produce more for you this year? Let me highlight a few possibilities:
Randy Lutz Last Updated: May 10, 2017.
Good luck, as always, I hope some of this helps your team.
- Tyrod Taylor, QB, Buffalo Bills
- Tyrod Taylor is my number one late round QB target this year. I feel like a lot of people don't realize that Taylor snuck his way into the back end of the top 10 fantasy QB’s last season, putting up 271 points overall for just over 18 per game.
- He did a lot of that work with his legs, giving him a high floor compared to some other QB’s, putting up 580 yards on the ground with 6 rushing touchdowns to boot, making him first of all starting QB's in both of those categories. He averaged over 6 yards per attempt on the ground, but also limited his mistakes through the air, finishing the season 8th best among starting QB’s in interception rate, throwing just one every 72 pass attempts.
- Thanks to the AFC East facing the NFC South this season, he’s got a year full of easy pass defense match ups, and potentially Sammy Watkins returning to the field. The Bills also drafted a young receiver in Zay Jones, and employ his old college position coach.
- I expect him to make an impact on the field, helping the Bills’ passing offense take off. Look for Taylor to continue his presence in the top 10 fantasy QB’s, despite a current ADP of 123, putting him solidly in the tenth round of most drafts.
- Sam Bradford, QB, Minnesota Vikings
- Sam Bradford had his best season as a professional QB last year in Minnesota, but fantasy owners aren’t quite buying in yet, as reflected by his current ADP on ESPN of 170. That puts him in pretty much the last round of most drafts, and makes him the ideal backup QB.
- When it comes to pass defenses, the Vikings face a relatively easy schedule this upcoming season, with their toughest contests being against Green Bay perhaps, or their matchup against Cincinnati in week 15. Neither are great pass defenses, and Bradford will have the benefit of a full off-season to prepare properly.
- I think he could sneak his way into the top ten of fantasy QB's this season, if he’s able to stay healthy. Working in new offensive weapon Dalvin Cook could take some of the pressure off him, which could easily result in greater rewards for fantasy owners. Take a swing on him early, it could pay off.
- Carson Palmer, QB, Arizona Cardinals
- Palmer had a down year last year, and very well could continue to age before our eyes, and spiral downward physically. If he doesn’t however, he could put up good numbers for a good part of the year, as he only really faces one tough pass defense (Seattle) through the first 15 weeks.
- Weeks 16 and 17 will be rough for him, but if you don't have a starter that you want to play in the championship, then you’re probably not making the championship anyway. I’m probably the least confident in Palmer producing fantasy points this season of the three QB’s I've listed here, but he may be worth a grab late. He’s currently going 136th in ESPN drafts, which makes him a low risk potentially high reward player.
Draft Utopia 2017 Fantasy Football Rankings