Tony Mario's 2017 NFL Mock Draft: 7 Rounds
Round 1 Picks 1-16
Tony Mario's 2017 NFL Mock Draft is up. This one features all 253 picks once again. Enjoy!
Tony Mario Last Updated: April 24, 2017.
Cleveland Browns: Myles Garrett, RE, Texas A&M
- Myles Garrett is a generational talent. Cleveland can wait until the 2018 NFL Draft for a quarterback with the progress Cody Kessler has made.
- Other Cleveland Browns Selections
San Francisco 49ers: Solomon Thomas, LE, Stanford
- Kyle Shanahan convinced Charlie Casserly to take Mario Williams over a quarterback in 2006. John Lynch has talked a lot about these quarterbacks, but he's not audacious enough to take one second overall this year in his first year of a six year contract as the 49ers General Manager. Thomas is beginning to look like the consensus #2 pick behind Myles Garrett so Thomas goes to the 49ers here. Other prospects like Marshon Lattimore, Reuben Foster, Leonard Fournette, Malik Hooker, and Jamal Adams could be in play as well, but I'll give the 49ers Thomas here.
- Other San Francisco 49ers Selections
Chicago Bears: Jonathan Allen, 3-4 RE, Alabama
- The Bears gave Mike Glennon too much money to draft a quarterback at 3. Jonathan Allen makes the most logical sense at this point and while I'm torn on them possibly taking Adams, Hooker, or Lattimore to boost the secondary, the Bears have shown a lot of interest in Allen and I think the rumors about the Bears passing on him at 3 are pure smokescreens. Many people still believe that Allen is the top prospect after Garrett even though you can make a case for the other defensive backs here.
- Other Chicago Bears Selections
Jacksonville Jaguars: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Jacksonville addressed a vast majority of their team needs in the offseason. The Jaguars can do something smart by taking the best overall player available a 4 in Leonard Fournette rather than draft for need here.
- Other Jacksonville Jaguars Selections
Tennessee Titans: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Tennessee released Jason McCourty their #1 field cornerback yesterday. Lattimore is more of a boundary corner than a field corner, but the same could be said for Logan Ryan. The point is the Titans cannot promote LeShaun Simms or Brice McCain to boundary cornerback because both corners are mediocre enough so drafting Lattimore here and having Simms and McCain compete for the nickel job seems ideal. The tandem of Lattimore and Ryan may work against the Colts and Jaguars, but both corners will be at a disadvantage versus DeAndre Hopkins and the Houston Texans, but luckily for the Titans the Texans don't have a quarterback at the moment so Tennessee may do just enough with Ryan and Lattimore at cornerback to capture the AFC South.
- Other Tennessee Titans Selections
New York Jets: Malik Hooker, FS, Ohio State
- Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker are really 1A and 1B at safety in 2017. Adams seems like a better scheme fit for a team like the Bears or Chargers, but Hooker has more potential to blossom into an Ed Reed like free safety plus Hooker would be a better scheme fit for a team like teh Titans or Jets. The New York Jets have gone after Ohio State Buckeyes in years past so I would not be surprised if they took Hooker here after taking Darron Lee in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft out of Ohio State.
- Other New York Jets Selections
Los Angeles Chargers: Jamal Adams, SS, LSU
- Not only does Jamal Adams fill the biggest need for the Chargers, but he's also the best player on the board. Some will go as far as to say that Adams is the best prospect in this draft after Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen so the Chargers are getting a clear steal with Adams here.
- Other Los Angeles Chargers Selections
Carolina Panthers: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
- The Carolina Panthers are going to take the top player on their board if they do not trade up for Solomon Thomas or Leonard Fournette with the 49ers at 2. Carolina really likes Christian McCaffrey out of Stanford and McCaffrey is a guy gaining top 10 status at this point.
Previous Pick: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
- Other Carolina Panthers Selections
Cincinnati Bengals: Derek Barnett, RE, Tennessee
- Derek Barnett would be a huge upgrade over Michael Johnson. Having Barnett and Carlos Dunlap compliment each other as defensive ends gives Cincinnati a lethal pass rush which can give Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger problems. Reuben Foster is also another candidate to consider since he's higher on some boards then Barnett plus he would make sense from a Best Player Available standpoint rather than a draft for need standpoint. My reasoning for Barnett is you brought in Kevin Minter at middle linebacker for one year and Barnett can put more pressure on your quarterback. Having an elite 4-3 defensive end who anchors your defense and gets by left tackles should be an NFL teams top priority. Dunlap faces right tackles in the NFL so getting someone like Barnett to compliment him makes way more sense in my mind at least.
- Other Cincinnati Bengals Selections
Buffalo Bills: Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
- Buffalo got Tyrod Taylor back at quarterback, but lost 5 wide receivers to Free Agency or retirement. Mike Williams is a slam dunk pick for the Bills if he slips to 10. Williams to Buffalo is such a slam dunk if he falls to this spot that the Bills need to be running up to the podium to turn in their draft card.
- Other Buffalo Bills Selections
New Orleans Saints: Taco Charlton, LE, Michigan
- New Orleans needs a 4-3 left end. Taco Charlton is a perfect pick for the Saints at 11. Charlton met with the Saints at least three different times and is likely the pick here.
- Other New Orleans Saints Selections
Cleveland Browns: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
- Mitch or Mitchell Trubisky whatever you want to call him is my favorite quarterback in the 2017 NFL Draft. I know their were some rumors about the Browns having Mahomes as the top quarterback on their board, but that's false since Trubisky is still in the running to be the top overall pick according to Adam Schefter which overrules the rumors about Mahomes and Davis Webb to the Browns. The fact that the Browns are debating whether to take Garrett or Trubisky at 1 tells you how bad this franchise is right now. In this mock though, the Browns get both players that they are considering at 1 with their two first round picks.
- Other Cleveland Browns Selections
Arizona Cardinals: Reuben Foster, 3-4 MLB, Alabama
- Reuben Foster gives Arizona a replacement to Kevin Minter at 3-4 middle linebacker. Taking Foster is a no brainer for the Cardinals here.
- Other Arizona Cardinals Selections
Philadelphia Eagles: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
- Dalvin Cook is an upgrade over the injury prone Ryan Matthews. Philadelphia is glad that Dalvin Cook is still there with Fournette and McCaffrey off the board.
Previous Pick: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
- Other Philadelphia Eagles Selections
Indianapolis Colts: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
- The Colts traded Dwayne Allen to the Patriots. O.J. Howard is the best player available and a huge upgrade over Jack Doyle since he gives Andrew Luck another weapon to work with.
- Other Indianapolis Colts Selections
Baltimore Ravens: John Ross, WR, Washington
- Baltimore goes with a wide receiver here. John Ross gives Baltimore a slot receiver that can be utilized as a deep threat for Joe Flacco. While Mike Wallace showed promise at times, he didn't fill the void Torrey Smith left and there is no question that Ross will fill that void with this pick at 16.
- Other Baltimore Ravens Selections
Other 2017 NFL Mock Drafts